Sunday, April 15, 2012

In Which A Happy Event is Announced

This will have to be a short posting, as there are some writing deadlines to meet, but I wanted to share the glad news with you as soon as possible.




















There is a very small new member of our household.





I was beginning to think that she would never come. This year, for some reason, kitten litters were just not happening. I wore a path to every vet's door, every notice board, every pet shop window for weeks. And then, quite suddenly, my good friend Eileen rang to say that a local farmer had a tiny female kitten which he was willing to give to a really good home.






Rushed down to see him, went through the expected pot of tea and slices of cake while discussing life generally at the kitchen table by the glowing stove, but at last was allowed to see and take into my arms the miniscule bundle of terrified fur.




















When we finally got her home, she spent the first few hours perched on the highest place she could find, while Sophy, thrilled and breathless, sat below, pleading eyes fixed on this new friend.


















Kittens, however, being kittens, it wasn't long before she was exploring every inch of the living room (in which it was deemed advisable she should spend a few days before venturing anywhere else).



















You will be glad to learn that she took to the concept of knitting and yarn balls with delight and concentration. Clearly we can expect great things here.



I just wanted to let you know. Sophy Wackles is ecstatic, although little kitten is still a bit wary of her, and inclined to be standoffish. Not for long, she won't. Not when they get out in the garden together.



For some odd reason, though, littlest one is absolutely terrified of Muffy the Yarnslayer. Now Muffy is getting elderly, and you will recall that eye accident earlier in the year, so she doesn't see all that well either. Yet she has only to bumble through the room in a vague way for the kitten to positively explode with hisses and yowls and shrieks of rage. Muffy isn't bothered, but I wonder what is sparking this hate off?



And no, she hasn't been named yet. Started with Minoushka, but then switched to Brogeen. This is the name of a famous leprechaun who lives not far from here (turn down the lane where the thorn tree leans out from the bank, cross the stream by the wide stepping stones, and you'll find his little house tucked under the roots of the big tree) and he was quite willing to have Kitten borrow his name. Sure any time she's passing, can't she tap on the door and I'll give her a saucer of milk and welcome.



Since then she has been Jezebel, Babette, Mishka, Cuddle Bundle, Little Fiend, Ming, Scarlett, Roisin Dubh, Carlotta, and a dozen more names, but nothing as yet is quite right. Suggestions welcomed!

27 comments:

ccr in MA said...

Ah, she's adorable; congratulations!

gemma said...

Bandit, she stole your heart right?

JoAnn said...

Who knew? Turns out this is officially bring-home-a-new-kitten-day! A friend welcomed a new adoption today as well. Blessings on your new family addition.

Sally said...

She reminds me of a Millie! Quite an unassuming name, but regal when turned into Millicent. She's lovely, Jo. Congratulations on the new addition.

Let's see if she can help you with the SMVI round 3 socks...

S.

mereth said...

When I was reading the phrase

"little kitten is still a bit wary..." it ran together and became 'Lillibet'. She is gorgeous and I hope the two friends will be recorded with lots of photos here!

Freyalyn said...

I'm so glad you have your new addition. I'm still waiting for ours - there's still a big hole where Psamme was. I wish you all joy.

Angeluna said...

Way too cute. Love the photo with the mirror. Nothing brings smiles like a new kitten (or puppy). When I see her in scale, she is really tiny, isn't she? Thumbelina?

Odd about Muffy. But I find if you leave things alone, they will sort things out rather quickly on their own.

lilymarlene said...

Minnie!
OrTinkerbelle....
Presumably she has a bell....

Windybrook Spinner said...

Congratulations! There is nothing quite as wonderful as a cat, in my opinion.

Julie said...

How old is she? She's adorable! She looks exactly like the kittens I was considering when Riley was gifted to me. It always takes me a week or two to settle on a name. Personality is such an important consideration.

Jo said...

She is so cute...tuxedo cats are my favorites...it is my contention that they are exceedingly bright. And I agree with those who say take your time with the naming while you get to know little furball's personality.

Chantelle said...

So happy for you to have found a new kitten to love, she's very sweet.

Kathleen C. said...

Oh, how wonderful! She's absolutely beautiful!
Well now, as to a name...
It is most kind of Brogeen to be willing to share his name, but you wouldn't want to get them confused, so you could call her Brogeen Dubh. But then again, I feel sure that her name will come to you... she just needs more time to tell you what it is.
Usually whatever name I name my cats they get all twisted up into nicknames anyway... Simon is the Simonizer or Simaroon; Bodicea is Bodie or Boderooski; Zeeba is Zeebowski... wait a minute... are all my cats Polish!?

Wanda in AR said...

Congratulations on the new addition to the family.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that this little beauty has found a home with you. You'll know her name in due time.
-- Gretchen

Grace said...

Kes----if I had a kitten (we are in a pet less approved apartment) i would name her Kes

kathy b said...

Well she's amazing and adorable. I have a friend whose daughter's name is Rosien. I think i means little Rose in Gaelic.....

I came to you from dear dear Katherine's blog awards!

Cathryn said...

Congratulations on the new little precious :) How about the Gaelic for Wee Rose?

Tola said...

we just had a beautiful young cat join our household. she was found on Passover/Good Friday which was also a full moon. my husband decided she should be named Ghealach. her picture is up on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh, at last, some true happiness in your home! Is there nothing as good as purring in your ear to make you happy? One of the best sounds ever!

Sandy

Luisa said...

Hi Jo, what a cute little thingie you've got there. My cat is named Ming, and he's a male, the Ming having been a dinasty of chinese emperors... just saying.

Madeleine said...

Precious! And I so agree with Windybrook Spinner. Might you consider Purl?

Anonymous said...

She's precious! She looks so much like my own little fur baby, Sir Prudence. What joy!

Dez Crawford said...

I am completely charmed and delighted that you have found a new friend. Carlotta caught my attention: long ago I used to live in a happy hippie house on Carlotta Street here in Baton Rouge, so of course I have many happy memories associated with that name. Things will work out in time with Muffy -- sometimes kittens are alarmed by the way another creature moves about. Absolutely adorable.

Dez Crawford said...

After some thought, it occurs to me that "Carly" might be a bit easier to call out from the kitchen door as the sun is going down.

Blue Toe Spinner said...

I once had a cat named Pocket, because he could sit in my pocket when he was little. He went well with our dog named Zipper.

KiniaCat Crafts said...

Again, apologies for lagging, but I'm CATching up!
Well met and Welcome!
I would suspect you've named the new little one, but with deadlines looming, you haven't had time to update we in the blogging world.
OR I could adopt a very silly perspective ;-) that you've been waiting for ME to reclaim some of my meandering life so I'd be paying attention when you revealed the kitling's name and the recent Celtic Memory Yarn adventures?
Regardless of the silliness, I hope life is treating you and yours well.