Monday, October 09, 2006

STOP PRESS: SECRET STASH SHED IN MY SIGHTS!

Hardly time to write - been out on jobs all day and only just got in at 11 pm - but wanted to alert you to the fact that I've run the elusive John Cahill of Muckross to earth - well to mobile phone actually - and he's taking me to that secret location tomorrow, where all the discarded and remaindered yarns, the cones of which not enough remain to make a new weaving run worth it, the new ideas which didn't work in the commercial market, the dye experiments...

'Oh, um, I'm in Waterford at the moment,' he said vaguely, 'trying to source a good linen for a new line we're trying. I'm away Wednesday - but I could meet you around 10 tomorrow if you liked...' He's lucky he was at the end of a mobile and not right there next to me or I'd have jumped him.

10 am I have to be in Killarney, to meet him. Yes, I'm emptying out the car, dropping the seats, even getting rid of the usual paraphernalia that travels everywhere. Now this just might turn out to be a bit of a disappointment but somehow I don't think so.

I promise, I will think of you all. I will try to imagine what each and every one of you would grab the second you saw it. Bright variegated dyes, buttery soft alpacas, gossamer fine mohairs - I don't know what's there but boy will I make good use of the hour or so I get! DH is heroically coming along to keep John busy and happy with chat about this and that so I can get as much time as possible.

Will post tomorrow evening with pictures, promise, and if I get anything for which you yearn, just let me know and we can work out a lucky bag exchange.

(Gosh, this is setting myself up for an even worse disappointment than Bantry Show, isn't it? I might well be reporting in tomorrow evening with a gloomy expression and a shortage of cheerful sentences. But heck, a whole shed, packed with yarn going for a song - yarn that nobody else knows about? It has to be special!)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoopee!!! You go girl! Too bad you can't photo and text us on site!!! Take orders. Can't wait to see stash photos. Have a whale of a good day.

Anonymous said...

You won't sleep tonight.

Fiberjoy said...

Treasure trove within grasp. It will to be hard to restrain your hands.

Some fine woolen tweed in a warm deep rust with reds and browns is what I've been yearning to weave. Or rich purple, or saffire blue, or... jk :-)

Jo, you just might finance another vacation.

Anonymous said...

O' Sweet Jo, what a day you have to look forward to, I'm with Angeluna, you won't be able to sleep tonight, you'll be so excited...
The hidden shed of heavenly delights.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that even an oversized hot chocolate won't put you to sleep tonight. ;)

Anonymous said...

Aladin's treasure won't compare to what sights you will see and feel tomorrow!! Make sure he doesn't blindfold you to keep the secret shed secret. Have a lovely adventure!! I'll be back for pictures.

Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Jo - oh to be in Ireland now that a yarn shed is open!! I can see you and wish I could be there with open arms to hold the cones, skeins, balls, whatever. I am sure it will be a grand day! Who ever heard of Bantry Bay - not I nor anyone worth their salt in the knitting world!!

Dez Crawford said...

If you are truly hunting for wool to re-sell, I would be beside myself if I had a large sweater's worth of a good soft wool or alpaca in a true, rich, royal blue. It is such a hard color to find. How I wish I could be there to help you manage this! I have excellent packing skills (you would not believe what I can cram into a Volkswagen Golf).

I would be entriely unable to sleep tonight if I were you. You go, girl! A treasure trove, indeed.

rho said...

I just want your DH to figure a way to get a picture of your face when you first see the inside of the shed --

LaurieM said...

I hope it lives up to your wildest dreams!

As for me, just save me a teeny bit of white laceweight. I'm not greedy. :-)

Anonymous said...

you GO girl!

Charity said...

Oh, TOO exciting! Can't wait to hear how it turns out! :0)

Joanna said...

Well its 10.30 here so you should be wading through your treasure by now, hope its what you wish for, think I've found your e-bay store, there is only one!

gwtreece said...

Can't wait to see these photos. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see it Jo when I get back from lancashire
amber in scotland

Anonymous said...

Well, by my clock you'll have been to The Shed and back now. I'm hoping for all our sakes that you're absolutely drunk on the wool fumes of the lovelies you ravenously scarfed up, um, I mean, brought home with you in a most dignified manner.

Can't wait to hear about it.

Roggey said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it went even better than anticipated and I cannot *wait* to see the photos!

Anonymous said...

Great! Congratulations! By now you're back and I can't wait to hear what you found. If it was great will you have the opporutnity to go back? A lucky bag exchange sounds wonderful! I can't wait to read your blog and see the pictures!

Ms. Knitingale said...

All my fingers and toes are crossed for you, Jo. Happy hunting, and I can't wait to see what you find!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How exciting for you (And for all of us to hear all about it!) I cannot wait to read about your adventure - I hope it was better than you could have imagined!!!

Anonymous said...

I'd be up all night planning projects for the inevitable score.

You know, if you were work out a plan with John , I 'm sure you could make this a yearly event and clear his warehouse for him. Could turn out to be quite a cash cow for him. I know I'd fly over for it. We knitters are a crazy lot with money to burn. (well, we act like we have money to burn anyway)